Monday, October 4, 2010

The Girl Who Blogged



Lately I have been engrossed in Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy. It started off with stumbling upon a copy of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and being hooked within the first few pages. I wanted to give the book a chance, whether I liked it at first or not, because of the hoopla surrounding it. That and I was curious about the movie because of all the casting buzz. And now that I've finished The Girl Who Played With Fire and am halfway through The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, I can say that it's one of the most intriguing storylines I've ever read. The first one doesn't have much to do with the second and third (the latter two are more alike in storylines) but most of the characters are the same and in the first book you come to understand the bond between Blomkvist and Salander. Casting Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist was a great choice. He fits the image I have of him. And I'm really curious to see what Rooney Mara does for the character of Lisbeth Salander. Out of all the books I've ever read in my life, Salander is probably the most interesting character of them all. Even though she's kind of crazy (but not the kind of crazy people think she is), you really root for her. You want her to kick butt all the way until the end. Well, at least I do. But it's characters like her and Blomkvist and several others I've encountered in this trilogy that inspired me to put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) and start writing again. I also love that all three books were translated into English. I would love to see what the books look like in Swedish. I wonder if I could get a copy through Amazon? (Maybe I'm the crazy one).



My parents celebrated 25 years of marriage yesterday, which is amazing. 25 years...can you imagine? I wonder what this world will be like when I hit that milestone. Will blogs still be around to write about it? Maybe everything will be electronic by then and paper will cease to exist. Maybe we'll finally get those flying cars they've talked about since Back to the Future made it cool ;-)


Speaking of 25...I am about to turn a quarter of a century in a matter of weeks. Talk about SCARY. Not scary as in "5 more years until I'm 30!?!?" but more like, did I do everything I wanted to do by then?
Maybe not but I did, however, get a lens I had my eye on for months now. It's a basic macro lens, the 50mm but it takes GREAT pictures. Here are a few test shots I started with.
September Visit to Brooklyn 016
Test shots 50mm lens 003
September Visit to Brooklyn 024
September Visit to Brooklyn 023
September Visit to Brooklyn 005

1 comment:

  1. Love the new lens!

    Funny enough, I'm about 3/4 through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I've had a couple of people tell me, most notably my boss/honorary dad, that Lisbeth reminds them of me. They meant it as a compliment and...I don't know. I guess I see it but other than size (I am 4'11" and was about 90 pounds at lisbeth's age) and maybe a certain willingness to get things done/resourcefulness, I'm not sure I *really* see it. And I'm not fully certain that I'm flattered, lol, despite the fact that my boss did say not to freak out because it was mostly her overcoming of obstacles that made him think of me.

    Also, turning 25 was weirder than turning 30 for me. Not sure why. Quarter century sounds scary, I guess, haha.

    ReplyDelete