Monday, December 13, 2010

movies & shows galore

This month, I have seen so many different movies and shows, I thought I'd post about them before I forget.

love and other drugs
Love & Other Drugs pleasantly surprised me. Robyn and I have taken to watching movies with closed captioning in theaters so when she told me she and Tiffany had plans to see it, I jumped on board. It was more than just 'the-movie-where-Jake-Gyllenhaal-and-Anne-Hathaway-were-naked'. It was surprisingly moving. The first half played off like a comedy but the second half took a serious turn. Anne's Maggie the artist has early onset Parkinson's and Jake's Jamie the pharmaceutical rep falls for her, much to his (but not our) surprise. They both gave great performances, in which my sister bawled like a baby in the second half, LOL.

tangled
Tangled became my favorite movie of the year. One, I am a sucker for Disney movies and two, Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi (although in cartoon) have great chemistry. You all know the beloved tale of Rapunzel. Goldie-loooooong-locks stuck in a tower by the evil mother....I felt Disney put a fresh spin on a familiar tale. You have to see it for yourself to know what I mean but I will say, the end credits song is now my most played on my iTunes list!



burlesque movie poster
I'm not sure why I agreed to see Burlesque when my sister suggested coming with her but I did. And boy...am I glad. It IS a cliched movie. I mean, small town girl makes it big, little girl with big voice...it's been done before. However, maybe it's because of a solid cast or because of Christina's pipes, whatever it was...I was sold. Great musical numbers (Express is a personal favorite) and great acting by everyone (cast also includes Cher, Stanley Tucci, Cam Gigandet, Kristen Bell). If campy movies involving music are your thing, by all means, see it! One website I read argues this movie isn't really campy enough to be a guilty pleasure but I disagree.


wintuk
On the 5th, a group of us (thanks to John's coordinating) went to see Wintuk, a stunning display of "acrobatics amid flakes" as one website puts it, to tell the story of a boy's quest for snow. You really have to see it yourself to get how insanely talented these performers are!! Some of the stunts are truly mind boggling. I would have seriously injured myself doing any of them. Major props to John for suggesting we see this. Very sad Winktuk isn't coming back around for another run at Madison Square Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment