Friday, December 31, 2010

post-Christmas blizzard

Part of the east coast was hit with a massive snow storm (hi, blizzard!) that left New York City crippled. Seriously, all 5 boroughs were a mess though Manhattan was attended to pretty quickly.

Believe it or not, that night (the 26th) I had to go in to work. I work in Times Square and while I knew it wouldn't be so bad (they send in plows quick there) the walk to the train station from Jonathan's house was AWFUL. But very comical, because as soon as I stepped foot outside, my scarf flew off and I could hear Jonathan laughing from the doorway, LOL.

IMG_0046

IMG_0047

This was the scene back in Queens...

IMG_0050

IMG_0049
Trying to show how deep the snow was at that point.

IMG_0052
Even Starbucks closed shop early. I personally, would love a hot cup of coffee during a blizzard ;-)

IMG_0053

IMG_0057

IMG_0058
I backtracked to get this photo because it reminded me of some eerie scene in a movie where the whole town is empty and you have that one thing blowing hard in the wind.

IMG_0061

IMG_0062
Two other crazy souls walking in the distance.

IMG_0063

IMG_0064
At this point, the wind had stopped momentarily and it was a real moment I wanted to capture.

IMG_0066
This photo does not capture the frenzy of walking home.

....but this one does.
No joke, that is how hard the wind was blowing. I was not moving the phone at all!

I didn't leave the house until the next afternoon. If I had it my way, I probably wouldn't have left at all but once I was out there, I got to see how, dare I say, nice everything looked with a coat of snow.

IMG_0074

IMG_0082
The sidewalk and street were completely buried.

My destination for this trek outdoors? My parents' house. That street was definitely more shoveled than back in Forest Hills.
IMG_0088

IMG_0089

IMG_0090

In the midst of this snowstorm, our process of moving out of the apartment my sister and I shared for 3 and a half years was delayed by a few days. That story and picture to come...but the snow definitely paralyzed the city for a bit! And now I hear there is 6 inches coming our way again this weekend?! I'll believe it when I see it.

Sidenote: this post is dated December 31st because that is when I began the entry and saved it in my drafts. When I say this weekend there is a snowstorm coming, I mean the week of January 3rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment