Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My 25th Birthday

I thought I was going to have a quiet little birthday celebration...


...boy was I wrong!

Last Monday, the 8th, I turned 25. Quarter of a century, if you may. One step closer to growing old. It was a good day. I woke up to birthday streamers and lots of love. I had lunch with my sister and Jonathan at a local bagel place (yeah, Robyn couldn't believe I had chosen that either LOL) and she gave me a very generous gift. My mom came shortly after to shop around a bit and she bought me a beautiful red jacket from Eddie Bauer. I was feeling the love that afternoon. That evening, Jonathan and I had dinner at Sea in Brooklyn, followed by cake at my parents' house. Alex, my glowing pregnant aunt who is almost 6 months now, joined in the festivities and that added to the fun. The cake (strawberry banana) was from Martha's Bakery and it was an instant pleaser. Anything from Martha's is, really.












Yay, baby!

Family shot <3



Jonathan's gift to me this year! I didn't know how he would top last year's Coach bag...but he did :D


That Wednesday, I had two tickets to see Elf the Musical, as mentioned in the last post. It was wonderful in every way -- set, acting, choreography, music, etc. It just had a feeling good vibe about it. A little bit of Christmas in my birthday week? Yes please!

Here is Jonathan and I with Sebastian Arcelus, who played Buddy the Elf.


That Friday started off ordinary enough. I don't remember a thing except that it involved coffee but I do remember the main event that day was Jonathan and I would be having dinner with Anthony and Gina. We did this last year because Gina's is two days before mine so it's the perfect joint birthday celebration. Small, cozy...just the way I like it.

We get to Danny Boy's, a local pub with a great restaurant in the back. It offers typical pub food but their burgers were SO good. This was my first time there so walking in, I didn't know just how good it was, of course. Anyway, the four of us walk through the pub to get to the back. Anthony shows me a few pictures on his camera of a beautiful butterfly or something like that. I'm completely into it but I look up as I enter the room, to see a sea of faces looking at me.

Faces: "SURPRISE!!!!"

Me: *looks from left to right* OH MY GOD!

Oh my dear God is right. Roughly 40 people were gathered there to celebrate with me. 40! I was so shocked that all night...literally all night...I was in a state of disbelief. I had missed all the signs over the past few months (even though, ahem, I swore Jonathan and my mother not to throw a surprise party for me). In the end though, after all was said and done, it was one of the best nights of my life.

One of the best gifts I received for my birthday though, besides the wonderful material gifts (Tiffany gave me the "Accidental Billionaires" book about the founding of Facebook that I had been wanting PLUS Marc Jacobs' Daisy perfume, only my second favorite perfume I would ever wear) and gift cards...was Jonathan taking off from work on my actual birthday to spend the day with me. He treated it like a real celebration and that is perhaps one of my favorite things about him, that all of life is a celebration. That attitude has certainly rubbed off on me. I should also mentioned my aunt Chrissy's gift to me, this book that I highly highly recommend, a journal with bible verses on each page and other odds and ends that I adored. Her card made me teary and touched me in a way that reminds me how blessed I am to have her in my life.

I didn't have my camera that night because well, I wasn't expecting that big of an event! I also wasn't even dressed up that much! I still rib Jonathan about that. He should have lied and said it was a fancy restaurant haha. Here is a phone photo a friend of mine took that night.

nikki and jonathan bday


http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=596141171590&comments&ref=mf

That above link is the video of the surprise via Jonathan's posting on Facebook. I never tire of watching this!

A memorable day, week and now hopefully, year :D

No comments:

Post a Comment