Thursday, September 17, 2009

Must be the changing of the seasons...

My little brother turned 18 yesterday! 18?! I remember the day he was born! Actually Michael's birthday is a very interesting story. And this being a blog and all, I might as well tell it!

*I should note I am telling the story from what I remember. I'm sure my mom could tell it so much better!

When my mom became pregnant with her last child (Michael) there was a lot of complications. Mom spent most of the summer of '91 in the hospital. The doctors told my parents that they would have to abort the baby or else my mom would die. My dad was devastated but abortion was not an option for either of them. So my dad did what anything Catholic would do in times like this: turn to God. He prayed the Rosary every day that both would survive. The reason why the pregnancy was so high risk was because the sac burst and obviously a baby cannot survive without that protective layer in the womb.

Michael was born on September 16, 1991. His due date was December 3rd. That's the day he came home! It truly was a miracle that Michael wasn't born severely handicapped or mentally retarded. That is why he is named after St. Michael -- he is a saint who, without a doubt, listened to my parents prayers and had a hand in God's miracle. He is special needs though. I don't know quite how to explain what exactly makes him special needs, besides him learning at a much slower pace than other 18 year olds. Michael is also deaf. He can speak because we are a speaking family but he is fluent in ASL and goes to a school where they sign, even though it's mixed with a regular highschool. My family does sign at random though, picking up some phrases was inevitable. Mikey doesn't like to sign at home though; he gets embarassed. I LOVE it though! I can never get him to teach me, except for the time it took him a half hour to get him to teach me 'dancing with the stars'. (Can you tell I like the show?)

Michael started a job today! The school places the students in various jobs once they're old enough. He really wanted to work at the store in his school but they reserve that for the more severely handicapped kids. Instead they have him working at a senior center for 1 hour every day. He'll be making about $150 a week. I am so happy for him! Not gonna lie, I was so nervous at first. And so was he!! But he liked it and so that's a good sign.

I don't think Michael will ever live on his own. My dad has told me in the past they accepted that a long time ago. I think it takes special kind of people to accept and even embrace that. God forbid anything happens to my parents. I am pretty much (being the oldest) next in line to take care of him. Wow! What a thought. I made a deal with God a long time ago. Don't take my parents before Michael. If they gotta go, we all go together LOL.

On a more serious note, as crazy as our lives have been because of michael, we wouldn't have it ANY other way. My life is better because of my him, I have so much more patience because of him and I've learned to appreciate the small things in life because of him.

He is also one of the funniest people you will ever meet! I've had some people tell me that they've burst out laughing at the things he's said. He can be very shy socially (it definitely comes with his disability) but he is a part of Facebook so my friends can see the things he says there.

I am curious to see what the future brings for us and what God's plan is for Michael. All I know is, this is one adventure I am ready for!

5 comments:

  1. Nicole,

    That was truly a beautiful entry. But, then again, it shouldn't surprise me because it mirrors your sweet personality. Makes me reflect on Danielle and Paulie, and how, though disabled, they have really made an impact on my life.

    Love always,

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your brother!!

    Thank you for sharing...it is a blessing to me to hear about siblings who love each other. It gives me hope for whatever siblings God might provide for Autumn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank to Sharaze! I would love to see the dynamic between Autumn and a sibling. She seems great with Tyler! Is adding to the Colley brood something you plan on doing or are you just gonna wait & see what God has in store?

    Jonathan, your cousins are a gift in your life, for sure! I am glad you got to know my family better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That should have said thank you, not thank to LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here, sweetie, and I look forward to future hangouts with them.

    ReplyDelete