Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What would Matthew do?



Not to knock my professor but this Art History class has got to be the worst way ever to spend 2 & a half hours. At least I had something to offer to the discussion, since we briefly touched early Christian art, including the one off to the left (Matthew the Evangelist). The professor wanted to know what the Gospel represented and I was kind of appaled when no one raised their hand to offer up the answer. "The word of God," I said. "The Holy Spirit guides Matthew as he writes." What I didn't notice until the professor pointed it out, was a little angel drawn in the upper right hand corner. It looks as if it's being drawn into Matthew's ink cup. Brilliant work of art if you ask me! I like most Christian paintings. It was a wake up call hearing the professor talking about the reasons behind the painting as if they were assumptions. To me, they are facts. The gospel isn't "the word of God"; it is THE word of God. Oh! Best news of the day: I passed the midterm with a 75%! I know that doesn't sound great compared to a 100% but this isn't my best subject so I am proud I did okay.



Moving on...


The first time I ever heard of Jodi Picoult was in 2005, when my sister was a senior in H.S and didn't have time to do her English homework. She asked if I could read a book for her. That book was Picoult's The Pact, a fascinating, almost modern day Romeo and Juliet with a twist. From then I was a lifelong fan. On the 3rd of this month, her new book Handle with Care was released. Immediately, I was hooked. This one gets a 2 thumbs up from me. I got through it so fast because it just sucks you in. The only book of hers that was hard for me to get through was Vanishing Acts but when I gave it a second try, it sucked me in too. Handle with Care is the story of six year old Willow, who was born with Osteogenesis Imperfecta, or what you may know as the brittle bone disease. Or if you haven't heard of that, surely you've seen Sam L. Jackson in Unbreakable? Anyway, Charlotte and Sean O'Keefe, Willow's parents, are struggling to make ends meet. Charlotte decides to file a wrongful birth suit, to ensure financial security for Willow for the rest of her life. Of course, drama ensues when you find out who exactly she's suing and so on. I was not happy with Charlotte throughout most of the book but by the end, I understood why she did what she did. I'm not going to include a spoiler, just in case you accidentally lay eyes on the next few lines, but I was not happy with what happens at the end. Still, a beautiful story that I really recommend! What I love about Picoult's books is that you always learn something new from each one. You can tell she challenges herself as a writer and I love that. She's definitely one of my literary heroes.


No comments:

Post a Comment