Friday, April 3, 2009

pop goes the...muscle?


Well, pooh. I was going to do the Freaks & Geeks post but yesterday didn't go quite as planned. I've been staying in the basement apartment of my parents' house lately (my grandparents occupy the second floor) just because I wanted to get away from my apartment for awhile. So there I was, drinking coffee and chatting with my Oma on Thursday morning when I cut her off to turn around in my chair to reach for a spoon behind me. When I turned again to face her...SNAP! Oma went and put this icy/hot thing on my neck but it didn't do much. Went downstairs, Mom tried to massage my neck into good health (she's a massage therapist so I have to give her credit and say she knew what she was doing). It helped but it still was hurting bad.


I had to go get my dogs in the city and then head to school. Even though I wanted to go to the chiropractor literally up the block from me, I didn't have time. I wish I had taken off for the day because by the end of the day, I could no longer put my head up. It was titled to the right and it seemed it was there to stay. But this morning I went to see Dr. Scheff, the best chiropractor in the world, and I can now sit up straight! It's still inflammed and hard to move around but he still helped greatly. The sound my neck made when he snapped it was pretty damn impressive. Dr. Scheff's been practicing for forever. I'm not kidding when I say that...he was taught by the son of Daniel Palmer, the man who invented the practice of chiropractic!



I feel kind of silly that all this ensued because I reached for a damn spoon. But my dad said the last time he sprained something in his neck, he had just been stretching in the morning. The reason I feel silly is because when I was in Starbucks yesterday morning, the barista at my local one wanted to know what happened (I had a neck brace on) and I told him the story. He responded "Oh my God, are you serious?" I was going to say, "Why wouldn't I be?" but then I realized that saying I got hit a car is probably more 'impressive' than 'turning around in my seat'. Not to make light of car accident victims or anything.



I couldn't work last night and I can't work again tonight, this time on doctor's orders but I am going to take advantage of this by watching "The Bone Collector", since it just came in the mail (thank you, Netflix!) I remember seeing it in 1999, when it was released. I enjoyed it a lot and remember the feeling of being kept at the edge of my seat. Let's see it I still feel the same in 2009!

1 comment:

  1. A. It was David Palmar. B. It's too painful for a massage therapist to work directly onto the muscle that has that twisted knot. Also, it take a long time to massage it away. C. Adjusting the bones allows the painful muscle to go untouched and repositioned into it's original place. D. The muscle pictured is not the muscle you sprained. It was the levator scapulae which runs from the tip of the medial top shoulder blade to the lower cervicals of your neck. That's why when you lifted your arm (which is attached to your should blade) you felt the pain. Glad you feel better!

    ReplyDelete